Paris Union, Madrid Protocol. Gambia is also a member of the African Regional Intellectual Property Organisation (ARIPO) but has not yet subscribed to the Banjul Protocol.
A new Industrial Property Act came into effect on 2 April 2007, and replaces the antiquated Trade Marks Act of 1916. The new Regulations to accompany the Act came into effect on 1 January 2011
Categories of Trade Marks:
There are provisions for the registration of SERVICE MARKS and COLLECTIVE MARKS.
There are no provisions for the registration of DEFENSIVE MARKS or SERIES MARKS.
The International Classification of goods and services applies.
A single application may cover any number of classes of goods and/or services.
A. New Applications
- 10 prints, except for word marks in ordinary type.
- Priority document (if apllicable), with verified english translation.
- No documents required.
- Effective date of Assignment/Merger
D. Change of Name
- Effective date of Change of Name.
E. Change of Address
- Effective date of Change of Address.
F. Licences/Registered Users
- Licence agreement, with verified English translation