New Trade Mark Law Comes into Effect in Montserrat
The implementing Regulations for the Trademarks Act (Cap15:23) 2002 came into effect on 1 November 2012.
Under the new Act, the ‘dual’ registration system which provides for the filing of either independent or UK-based applications remains in place. The changes primarily affect independent applications (bringing them into line with UK-based applications), and introduce the following:
- Provision for the registration of service marks
- Provision for the registration of collective, certification and series marks
- Adoption of the Nice Classification (10th Edition) (replacing the old British Classification of 50 classes)
- Provision for the recordal of licences
- Revision of the renewal term from 14 to 10 years
There has also been a general increase in the official fees, and our updated tariff will be provided on request.
Please note that the new legislation has introduced many changes, and the above summary is not intended to be exhaustive. For further information, please speak to your usual Spoor & Fisher Jersey contact or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org