- WIPO (from 15 August 1985)
- PCT (from 27 December 2007)
- Paris Convention (from 27 December 2007)
Types of Patents available:
- Patents of Invention
- National Phase
- PCT application
Absolute novelty is required. However, novelty will not be destroyed if the disclosure of the invention to the public occurred not earlier than six months preceding the filing date or where applicable the priority date, and it was as a consequence of: acts committed by the applicant or his predecessor in title, or an abuse committed by a third party with regard to the applicant or his predecessor in title.
National Phase PCT Application Angola patent legislation does not make provision for PCT applications, nor are filing requirements for such applications specified. At present, we advise applicants to lodge the same documents as for a non-PCT application, plus the following:
- Copy of International Publication
- Copy of International Search report
- Copy of International Preliminary Report on Patentability
Patent of Invention:
- Power of Attorney (notarised and legalised) (can be late filed within two months)
- Specification, claims and abstract in Portuguese (an English specification can be filed provided a Portuguese title is filed with the English specification, and a verified Portuguese translation must be filed shortly thereafter)
- Formal drawings, if applicable, (required on the day of filing)
- Assignment of Invention (notarised and legalised) (can be late filed within three months)
- Priority document with verified Portuguese translation of the covering page (can be late filed within three months)
Patent applications are published for opposition purposes. A third party may file a notice of opposition within sixty days (period is extendible) from the publication date.
The term of a patent is fifteen years from the filing date. For PCT national phase applications, the term of the patent is calculated from the PCT International filing date.
Renewal fees fall due annually from the first anniversary of the filing date. For PCT national phase applications, renewal fees fall due annually from the first anniversary of the PCT International filing date.ewal fees fall due annually from the first anniversary of the PCT International filing date.