Membership of International Conventions:
- Paris Union (from 20 April 1975)
- WIPO (from 16 April 1975)
Types of Designs available:
- Industrial Designs
A design is new if it has not already been created. Designs and models not actually embodied in an article prior to the application for their registration are deemed novel.
Advertising the design or model prior to filing the application does not lead to loss of priority rights, nor destroy novelty.
Novelty is not destroyed if the design or model is displayed at an officially recognized exhibition, provided the application is filed within six months with a supporting certificate.
A design is registrable if it is new and it is not contrary to public order or morality.
A design is any combination of lines or colours, provided that such combination or form gives a special appearance to a product of industry or handicraft, and for models, any plastic form associated or not with colours, and any industrial object which can serve as a pattern for the manufacture of a product of industry or handicraft.
A single application may relate to up to one hundred industrial designs, provided that said industrial designs are of the same kind.
- Power of Attorney (simply signed) (can be late filed within two months).
- Drawings or photographs of the design or two specimens of the design (required on the day of filing).
- Certified copy of priority document with verified French translation, if priority claimed (can be late filed within two months from filing).
- Assignment (can be late filed within two months).
Yes but maximum of one year from filing.
Average Period from Application to Registration:
Duration and Renewal:
The total duration of a design registration is ten years from the filing date of the application. The initial term of the design registration is one year which is extendible upon payment of renewal fees for a further nine-year term. The term of the registration starts from the date of application for registration. The nine-year extension has to be requested either on filing or within the first year. A six-month grace period is provided.